Sunday, June 12, 2011

Missions

I have been in Richmond for almost 6 years now. The way God has transformed my life, my purpose, and my desires has been nothing short of a miracle. My deepest joy is spending my time witnessing to people, by speaking to them of how great a Savior Jesus is, or by inviting them into my home and showing the love of God through authentic Christian community.

I want to spend my time with people who have no hope, and I want to offer it to them. So often, I see people the way COULD be, if they would turn their hearts toward Jesus. If they would only turn from their sin (living life apart from God and in rebellion to His leadership) and enter a love relationship with their Heavenly Father, I just know He will give them a new heart, a new purpose, a new identity! He did it for me!

When I was in Haiti last year, I learned what it looked like to be a missionary..each day you get up and dedicate your time to the Lord, seeking Him first in prayer and in the Word, and then the day is spent laboring, meeting the physical needs of those around you but more importantly, sharing WHY you are doing it: because you desire that they would love Christ. Each day was for God, from sunup to sundown. I vowed not to lose this when I got back to the States.

It's been a year since Haiti. I have not forgotten how to live like a missionary, because that's what I am. It is who every Christian is, should they choose to obey the Great Commission.I have seen God moving here, through purposeful ministry. Though there are days where I would like to just pack it up and go work in a refugee camp in Africa, God has made it clear that I am to be in Richmond until He tells me otherwise. There is so much opportunity here; people from every tribe, tongue and nation right outside my door. Buddhists, Muslims, atheists, and nominal Christians. People I want to love on. People who could be transformed by the grace of God through faith in His son. I want them to see that it's not just saying "Yes I believe God loves me and He sent Jesus to die, and now I'm saved and I don't have to worry about eternity." That's just a mental assent. I want to see hearts that fall in love and lives that transform into conduits of Jesus' message and his love. I want to see new creations: miracles! I want to see people who know they are loved love others.I want to make disciples who make disciples.

There is nothing better than pouring our lives out for the sake of the Gospel. When it comes down to it, when you look back at your life will you be happy that you made money or had great stuff, or do you want to say "I rode that thing til' the wheels fell off! I did everything I could to show Christ..everyday was about Him and people coming out of death into life!"

Each day, commit yourself to Him and ask Him to do whatever He wants with your day. Be a missionary. It's who you are anyway.






2 comments:

Fijufic said...

part of a happy life is believing in something bigger than yourself. I suspect you are well on your way.

Jennifer said...

Angela, I love "hearing" your heart! I know God is using you for His Kingdom work!! Miss "reading" ya ;)