Sunday, June 1, 2008

Be still and know that I am God

I have been testing this one out literally this week. I know that in conversation, if you are the one doing all of the talking, you usually are not hearing much from the other person. So I decided, starting with five minutes, to sit very still and meditate on the words "you are God". Other thoughts did intrude at times, but I think there may be something to just actually spending a "quiet" quiet time with the Lord.

This past week I have come to the realization that I would very much like to start a womens' bible study. My friend Heather at work is willing to cohost with me, in fact she has offered the use of her home. There is a new Christian store that opened about a month ago in the mall I work in. The name of the store is C28-after Colossians 2:8, and they sell Christian themed apparel. They also offer to pray with people that walk by the store, which is pretty awesome, but apparently has weirded out some of my coworkers that walk the mall on their lunch break. Heather and I said a prayer after a couple of our coworkers told us how uncomfortable they were with people pushing "religion" on them, and though Heather and I did talk a little about faith vs.religion, they definitely were not down with evangelist retail! Heather actually said she has felt God telling her that she should work at that store..and btw, if anyone would pray for my coworkers' hearts to be softened towards the Lord, I would very much appreciate it..their names are Amanda and Johann.

I went to apply for a passport yesterday, and I prayed that God would bring someone for me to talk to while I was there..I don't pray this sort of thing often. There were two seats outside the passport office, and the agent was running behind, because the lights were off in the office. The other seat was occupied by an older Hispanic man. I smiled as I sat down, and he was friendly, inquiring if I spoke Spanish ( I do, but not fluently), and where I was going. He spoke a little English, so we muddled through it. After these pleasantries, we lapsed into silence, but I heard him flicking through what sounded like suspiciously thin pages. I sneaked a peek.

"Are you reading the Bible?" I asked. He looked up and said, "Yes. You know, this world is crazy.." I was touched by his willingness to preach the message to me, but I am of course already a follower of Christ, so I smiled and said "I know, I want to start a bible study." I think he thought I wanted to JOIN a bible study, so I clarified that me "y un otra mujer a mi trabajo" (me and another woman at my job) want to start a bible study for women. He then said " If it's okay, I would like to give you some bible study material. Will you do it in Spanish or English?"
Since I can't read Spanish, I said English sounded great..he told me the books were on Christian living, and he had them in both languages. Since it was so obviously a God Thing I gave him my number, so that I can see his bible study materials. I was just so blessed to have such obvious answer to prayer..even if nothing comes of it..I know that God is with me in everything I do. EVERYTHING!

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."- Proverbs 16:3

P.S. The guest speaker at my church tonight was from California. He is the owner and founder of the Christian store C:28 that has been freaking out my coworkers. God is amazing.

1 comment:

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Hey... thanks for the blog visit and comment today.

I love your story and the obvious answer to your prayer.

Nice to meet you...